Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Today with the help of Katlin and Lisa I was able to finish up my incubation experiments and begin packing up all of my samples for the night. Since most of my samples are frozen to prevent further demethylation and methylation of mercury from the time they were collected the most important thing I have to do tonight is organize my bottles in the freezer. When I get back to WSU I will test the incubation samples for rate of methylation/demethylation of mercury, and I will also test water samples taken at various depths at each station to show NO3, DOC, MMHg, Dissolved Trace Metals. The incubation water will also be tested for TOC, Fe, and bacteria count.



Tonight I watched my last sunset at sea as we deployed the mini rosette for the last time. I will miss the experiences at sea, but I am glad to be done because the mini rosette gets a little heavy after a while.



I would like to thank NSF for funding the cruise and experiments. Also a big thank you to the crew of the R/V Endeavor for keeping the ship on track, helping collect our samples, and providing fabulous meals. Thank you Mercury Team for teaching me more lab procedures in 11 days than I ever would learn in a class room. Thank you Dr. Hammerschmidt for allowing me to work with you while I work on my masters. Lastly, thank you Tristan for helping filter the water I will use in my experiments/analysis.


Will

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, Katlin, and Will... it is very clear that this "hands-on educational experience" is one you will never forget! Thank you for sharing such amazing details and images of your expedition.