Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Acknowledgements

This evening, we have reached our final station (#15). I have had an amazing adventure thus far. In fact, this experience has totally surpassed any expectations I had formulated prior to the cruise. I never imagined how exhilarating it would be out on the ocean completing research! I honestly do not want to return to land! This is especially ironic for myself, because I have long had a personal battle with motion sickness; however, it the same respect this cruise is truly meaningful to me because I have made significant achievements, both scientifically and personally.

Thank you to the National Science Foundation (NSF) for funding this research cruise on the biogeochemistry of mercury in the oceans!!!

If it were not for this organization, we could never have afforded to conduct such unprecedented research. The data that we have collected from this research cruise promise to further advance the current state of knowledge on (methyl)mercury in the Atlantic Ocean and its sediments.

I also want to thank all of the crew members, whom have been so very helpful and kind throughout our trip. Thank you for working so hard and sharing your stories with us! Perhaps we will see you again on another cruise in the future.

Thank you to the entire scientific party. It has been incredible getting to know some of the most intelligent and proficient scientists in the mercury field. Everyone has been so caring and I have had a blast conducting research with you all. We must keep in touch!

Finally, I would like to give special thanks to Dr. Chad Hammerschmidt and Dr. William Fitzgerald. Both of you did a phenomenal job with logistics, guidance, and enabling us to efficiently and effectively collect samples. I, as I am sure everyone else, recognize the tremendous amount of time and effort you put in to make this a very successful research cruise!

All too soon we will be back at port in RI…tomorrow afternoon! We have a lot of packing to do and our final station to complete before we can return home.

My sincerest gratitude to you all,
Lisa

No comments: